Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Trip to Maine - Day One

This past November was Jamie and I's 10th anniversary. And it was also Jamie's year to plan our anniversary gift. So in my card from him he wrote that once I was done with treatment and was feeling better we would go to Maine. I have had "Eating lobster on the wharf" on my bucket list for a long time.

So here is day one of our trip....



This is my first glimpse of Maine through the airplane window.

And since we were going to fly into Bangor Maine around noon and we couldn't check into the Bed and Breakfast until two or so. I decided that we had to find the house to one of my favorite authors.....

STEPHEN KING.


And yep, I found the house. Isn't it awesome????!!!!!

Front View. I love the spider web gate and dragon/gargoyles on the posts.

Side view. It goes back really far from the road.


Three headed dragon on a different post.
Once we got to Bar Harbor on island we took a scenic walk around the town. They had a flyer of different historic places in the town.
One of the places was an old church that had different stain glass windows. Some of them are even Tiffany windows. And I'm a sucker for stain glass so we had to stop and get pictures.






After that we decided to walk on the beach.


Jamie doesn't do to bad of a job taking our picture.

After all the walking and a little window shopping we decided to get something to eat. One of the places that was recommended to us was Thurston's at the other end of the island. This place is a lobster pound. You pick out what size lobster you want and they boil them out back for you.


Thurston's Lobster Pound

Here's the poor lobsters we picked to eat.

The lady working there was super funny. I asked her if I could take pictures and she let me go in the back with her when she dropped the lobsters in. They go in the little bag, dropped in the boiling water and then the lid is shut on them to cook.

Here is a bunch of the lobster traps on the dock.

First bite of the lobster claw and butter. You also get an ear of corn and coleslaw with the meal.
One of the other people eating took our picture for us.

After we got done eating we headed back to the bed and breakfast, grabbed a movie and just relaxed in our room.

No comments: