Monday, March 23, 2009

Polar Plunge

As some of you know Jamie was a part of a polar plunge here in Hayward this past weekend. It was to help support Hospice and Jamie jumped in honor of his dad. Jamie was able to raise over $500 dollars, thank you to all that donated. Since he raised so much money he was given a t-shirt and sweatshirt. Sounds like if he would have raised over $1,000 they would have given a windbreaker too.

Saturday turned out to be a very nice day. The temps were in the 50's and clear skies. So I think that helped the jumpers in not thinking about how cold the water was going to be.

Cheryl and Josh also came to the jump with me and the boys to support Jamie.


Here is the local rescue team cutting the ice and getting the hole ready to jump into. The guys in the yellow suits stayed in the water the whole time. They helped get the people to the ladder once they jumped in.


They also had skydivers jump before the plunge. The had to try and hit a target that was on the ice. I think 3 out of the 4 hit the target.


The guy doing the announcing told them that next year they had to try and make it into the water. I don't think they will be back next year if that is the case.
Here is the group Jamie jumped with. They are from the church we go to and as a whole they jumped for Farmer Bill who past away. That is why they are dressed as farmers.
We tried to find one of Jim's elevator shirts for Jamie to wear. But of course I cut them all up to make the blankets. So Jamie found one of his jean shirts and wore that instead.

Not to sure why he got so much air during his cannonball. But he ended up hitting the bottom of the lake with his butt. The hole was only about 4 feet deep.
He ended up getting some of the press wet with his big jump. So I don't think he will be in the paper.

He mentioned the water was so cold that you had a hard time getting your breath when you came up.

Jamie tried to swim to the ladder, but like I said he couldn't get any air.

Just a little cold I would say.

He pointed to the boys, cause they were laughing at him.
Melanie I think you asked if I was going to do the jump next year. My answer to that is are you kidding me!!!! Jamie said it wasn't all that bad. But I think I will leave the jumping up to him.

No comments: